So much has happened since Morgan Le Fay's death (a.k.a. my last post)! I have finished my first full semester of teaching, and I know that might not seem like anything big. However, I feel a sense of accomplishment. I have learned at an exponential rate for 18 weeks, and it is nice to have a mental vacation from teaching. Well actually a physical vacation, too. A few weeks ago I decided to incorporate an art project with the novel my Juniors were studying, Of Mice and Men. The art project went great, but while I was getting out supplies, I sliced open the back of my hand on a rusty, old nail that was lurking in one of my cabinets. It looked horrific for 2 weeks, but thanks to my mom and grandma and their insistence on pouring hydrogen peroxide on it off-and-on for 2 hours, I think it is getting better! YAY! I guess a forever memory of my first year teaching...haha!
I am loving Christmas Break! It began with a friend's wedding and the fun has continued. My plans for the break are the 3 R's. Running, Reading, and Relaxing! Today I went for a wonderful run in the warm sun. I just love warm weather! Honestly, it would be fine with me if we didn't have a white, snowy Christmas...haha! My reading plans are plentiful. I have taken the bite...I am obsessed with the Twilight Saga. I stood in line for 7 hours to see New Moon for the midnight premier, and it was worth it! I feel somewhat like a 14 year old, but I am addicted to the books. I am reading the 3rd book, but during the break, I also want to read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and Stephen King's Memoir, On Writing.
I have chosen the writing book because I think my students are ruining my grammar and my ability to write...haha...but seriously! Please, please, please tell me if I ever say "I seen," "ain't gonna," or spell a lot "alot." These are battles I face every day (but not for 2 weeks...YAY!), and I do not want their mistakes ingrained in my brain. I go over the proper usage when I see major standard English grammar errors; however, I think I need a new approach. It is hard to compete with the erroneous "language of the land" that is heard in the community and even on the radio stations.
I am also relaxing during the break. I am really looking forward to seeing friends that I haven't seen in quite a while and being with family. I love being in the midst of my mom's beautiful, holiday-spirited house with peppermint scents, comfy couches, warm quilts, and Bradford (the dog), who's warm, 6 pound body sleeps at the foot of my bed. I love laughing at my sister's witty replies; however, I wish she were not able to find a CSI Marathon...everyday! Overall, I am happy to be with loved ones! I hope everyone has a great Holiday Season!
New Blog
16 years ago




Tomorrow's marathon...NCIS thank you, thank you very much (elvis accent)
ReplyDelete