It is true...I have a job teaching high school English! I wrote the following poem from the perspective of walking into my classroom for the first time.
Clank! Rattle! Click!
As I open the door with my new key,
I am greeted by darkness and warmth.
I see shapes and begin to guess the structures.
Running my hand along the wall,
I give light to this room.
And I see for the first time,
where I will teach.
I see carpet and dry-erase boards.
I see a large desk and filing cabinent.
I see a bookshelf and 23 desks.
I see a Smart Board and podium.
I see textbooks and teacher guides.
Then I see it.
The
ONE
poster
hung.
And I know I have made the right decision.
A map of England, marked with Lakenheath and Mildenhall.
The very area I lived for 3 months
And embarked on this journey of teaching,
Already living in my classroom.
Satisfied, I turn off the lights
And lock the door.
Clank! Rattle! Click!
New Blog
16 years ago




FATE! It's basically like that movie Serendipity : ) O how I do love that movie! Plus you're even reading Love in the Time of Cholera. Lakenheath poster = supreme bliss in your first classroom. Love the poem, I'm feeling inspired! I'm pumped for our canoeing/kayaking/rafting/swimming down a river/floating on a noodle/whatever it is that you finally choose trip. Love you, love your blog, love your poetic thoughts!
ReplyDelete~Genevieve Duex
P.S. I can help you decorate your new house/country cottage? Pretty please, you know how I love cottages!