"The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences.” ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hello to the New!

All I can say is "Wow!" This past week has been crazy and full of new experiences!

New Experience #1:
I am still in the search for a "real job." By the end of this week I will have had NINE interviews! I really didn't think it would take 9+ interviews to find a job (am I doing something majorly wrong?!?..haha!) Looking on the positive side, I have seen 9 very different schools, and with each interview, I gain some tips on answering a question a little bit better.
Craziest Interview Location for a teaching position: at a Starbucks (I'd like a Chi Tea...and a job please!)
Busiest Interview Day: this coming Friday...two within 2 1/2 hours...eek!

New Experience #2:
I was getting bored and felt unproductive, as I love being busy! So I decided to find a summer job. I had done my research in the newspapers and had found a few places to apply. I first tried a bakery (because I secretly want to have my own someday!), but they needed someone year round, not just for the summer. Then I tried a bridal shop that was hiring, because I thought that would be fun...right? Wrong again! I filled out the application and then had an immediate interview with the owner, who I found out was not the nicest man! He didn't understand why I was applying because as he put it "I do not have any experience in this field." And I will not be gaining any in the near future either! After he finished explaining all of the knowledge one needs for work in a bridal shop (i.e. knowing what size a girl is when she walks into the store, what style of dress will flatter her body type, what invitations go with certain wedding themes, etc., etc., etc) it was exhausting, and I didn't think that was for me either! I walked out of the shop jobless, but I was determined to find a summer job.

Next on the list, a restaurant. My grandparents owned and operated a steak house for several years. They still have the building (it is just storage now,) but when I go in the building, I always think about and picture what it must have been like when it was open. My mom and her brothers and sister worked in it along with my grandparents, and they tell stories from working in the steak house. This old family steak house was the inspiration to apply at a restaurant. So I applied at one and found my summer job! They hired me as a hostess! I was excited; however, after working several shifts, I have realized that it gets a little crazy sometimes! I never realized all of the information hostesses need to know...phone numbers, how to give directions to the building, memorize table numbers, problem solve to mix and match tables for large parties, and a nice demeanor to deal with all the "happy people" in the world! Okay...so the job is not rocket science, but I was surprised with all of the technicalities that it entails. There are even hostess tests that I have to take...and pass!

New Experience #3:
I have always enjoyed working out and running, but have never understood lifting weights. I always like learning new things and trying new things, so I asked one of the trainers at the gym to help me develop a weight training program! He helped all right...helped make my arms sore...haha! I am working some muscles that I didn't know existed...and am hoping for some Michelle Obama arms!

Learning new things like hostessing and lifting weights and being turned down for jobs, has taught me life lessons. First, learning something new is humbling. Second, I have realized that there are many things that I do not know. I do not know how to manage a fast-paced restaurant, I do not know how to run a school, or even a bridal shop. Third, I have learned to stay positive, hopeful, and patient when it comes to interviewing and hearing back from schools.

1 comment:

  1. At least you are getting interviews, I'm not getting anything. lol Good for you on starting to lift. I need to get back into that, but I've just recently...like Tuesday, started working out again. lol So, weight will just have to wait till like after I get back from camp next week. lol While Michelle Obama's arms are good, I'm more partial to Kelly Ripa's. haha I would definitely want hers!!! lol

    ReplyDelete